City of Lynchburg Recreation Center 1928-1968
As a public building, Point of Honor continued to be useful and it served a variety of functions during the forty-year period it was owned by the City of Lynchburg. Always a recreation facility, it doubled as a soup kitchen during the Depression, a nursery during World War Two, and hosted countless neighborhood social functions through the years. During this time the key to the house’s survival was the constant maintenance it received. The roof was kept sound, the windows replaced when they were broken, and the grounds kept clear. Several small structures did disappear due to their dilapidated condition and most of oak trees were lost to age, but the house was preserved and there was always a sentiment that Point of Honor should be preserved.
The Restoration 1968-Present
In 1968, the city deeded Point of Honor to the Historical Lynchburg Foundation (now the Lynchburg Historical Foundation). The restoration work began with an initial survey and study by J. Everette Fauber, Jr. to determine the age of the structure and the nature and extent of alteration. By the spring of 1977, the house was restored and furnishings were being collected for display. The goal of the restoration had always been to recreate the era of George Cabell, Sr. Since 1815-1830 was the first decorative period of the house, this coincided with the Cabell family residence. Lack of period documentation of Point of Honor's interiors and the lack of any original Cabell furnishings resulted in a plan to recreate the interior décor in a manner typical of the time period of George Cabell, without attempting a specific re-creation.
The grounds of Point of Honor have received no less attention than the house. The Garden Club of Virginia selected Point of Honor as its 1977 Garden Restoration Project and their efforts have resulted in the authentic recreation of the front lawn landscaping typical of Cabell's era.
Point of Honor opened to the public on a regular basis in 1978. Managed by the Lynchburg Museum System, it attracts thousands of visitors each year eager to glimpse a view of the lifestyle enjoyed by George Cabell and his contemporaries in early 19th century Lynchburg.