The Lynch Family Period 1745-1805
In 1745 Englishman John Bolling, a descendant of Pocahontas, was granted a patent to lands along the James (then called the Fluvanna) in the vicinity of Blackwater Creek. The next year (1746) Bolling sold these lands to the Irish immigrant, Captain Charles Lynch (father of John Lynch), who proceeded to expand his holdings and patented hundreds of additional acres in the adjoining areas. Charles Lynch died in 1753 and willed the lands encompassing Point of Honor to his third son, Christopher. Christopher married Ann Ward on October 18, 1765, and it is likely that he constructed a home on his land about that time. By 1782 Lynch owned approximately 1,260 acres of land and an inventory of his personal possessions suggests a modest house, six slaves, and about fifty head of various livestock. At his death, his only daughter, Nancy Ann, inherited the land and married Samuel Mitchell in 1786 (the year Lynchburg was chartered).
During this entire period there is no specific mention of a house and even the deed references are confusing as Charles, Sarah, and Christopher Lynch variously purchased or patented land included in the Point of Honor tract. It is safe to assume that Christopher Lynch did build a house for himself on this tract and it is reasonable to imagine that Mitchell expanded it; however, where it was located and what became of it is still unknown. For the present study, it is adequate to say that these lands had been settled and inhabited for at least thirty years before George Cabell purchased them in 1805.