Interning at the Lynchburg Museum
At the Lynchburg Museum we are pleased to offer a variety of unpaid internships to undergraduate students interested in careers in education, history, and museum studies. Our internships are designed to give students real world experience in their chosen major. Internships are available throughout the school year and during the summer for college credit/ not for credit depending on your school's requirements.
Summer Internship - June 5, 2017
Fall Internship - September 1, 2017
Spring Internship - January 16, 2017
Social Media - The intern will research the holdings of the Lynchburg Museum System (LMS) archive to find "On this day in Lynchburg history" tweets and posts. The intern will create a spreadsheet to organize the tweets/posts and keep track of when they are posted.
Cataloging Museum Records - This internship focuses on proper maintenance of catalog records and the importance of data entry. The intern will create individual records for a collection and scan any documents or photos required, attaching the media to the individual record. Experience with Past Perfect software is preferred but not necessary.
Flat Files #1 - The intern will go through the Museum's flat files notating all records marked research or reference that do not have accession numbers. The intern will then add these files to the research file index including topic and location. The finished product will be an updated research index.
Flat Files #2 - The intern will inventory the flat files at the Museum, including removing smaller items that can be better stored in smaller boxes to make room for large paper items. As part of the inventory, the intern will also update Past Perfect records including new photographs.
Education Program Collection - The intern will work closely with the Curator and Museum Educator to inventory the education program collection at the Museum. The intern will locate, identify, and photograph each item in the collection. The intern will then enter the information into Past Perfect. Experience with Past Perfect software is preferred but not necessary.
Photo Uploading - The intern will assist with uploading the Museum's collection of photographs. The Museum's photographic collection contains over 12,000 images related to the history of Lynchburg and Central Virginia. The majority of the Museum's images are from the first half of the twentieth century. Work on this project includes scanning, uploading, and identifying photographs.
- Research, writing, and speaking skills
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office
- 3.0 GPA or better
- Ability to engage the public
- Interest in History / Museum Studies / Public History / Non-profits / Education
- Positive attitude
- Good work ethic
- Professional dress
If interested in any of the above internships, please send the following information to email@example.com
1. Indicate which internship you are interested in
2. Personal information including: name, address, school, phone number, and email address
3. School information including: major/minor, GPA, faculty adviser, and expected graduation date
4. 250 words or less on how interning at the Lynchburg Museum System will benefit your chosen career path or major/minor. Why do you want to intern at the Museum?
5. Please also include your start date and if you would like to complete the internship for credit.