Interested in visiting the Museum's latest exhibit-
Expericene The James: Lynchburg's Pathway to the World?
Day at the Point-Fall Festival, October 4th
The 17th Annual Day at the Point will be held Saturday, October 4 from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. on the grounds of Point of Honor at 112 Cabell Street in Lynchburg. This event brings living history demonstrations, local food, kids’ games and crafts, period music, and more to Point of Honor each year with free admission! The historic home was built in 1815 by the Cabell family and is among the finest examples of Federal architecture in Piedmont Virginia.
This year’s event will feature a variety of music including Firecracker Jam Band, Tommy Cox and Friends, and performances by Opera on the James. Activities and demonstrations include costumed living history, a quilt exhibit by the Patches and Pieces Quilting Guild, and farm animals. The Virginia Canals and Navigations Society, Lynchburg Water Resources, Amazement Square, and James River Association will be on hand and demonstrations will include open hearth cooking, beekeeping, Native American bowmaking, and blacksmithing. A full size batteau, The Morning Star, will also be on the grounds.
For kids, there will be a story teller and kids’ games from long ago and today including a jump castle, sack race, face painting, and pumpkin decorating. High On The Hog will be selling BBQ and the Museum Volunteers are hosting a bake sale of home-made items. There will also be a wide variety of vendors and crafters on the grounds with products for sale.
Free guided tours of Point of Honor will be available all day along with two walking tours of the historic Daniel’s Hill neighborhood. The public may also tour the exhibit, Medicine in Early Virginia. The Gift Shop will offer 10% off during Day at the Point with many unique gifts, books, prints, and ceramics on sale.
Cities of the Dead—Lynchburg Museum to Highlight Old City Cemetery, Presbyterian Cemetery, and Spring Hill Cemetery for
First Friday, October 3rd
As part of “First Friday,” the Lynchburg Museum at 901 Court Street will be open free of charge on Friday, October 3rd from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The Museum will feature mini displays about prominent individuals buried in Old City, Presbyterian, and Spring Hill Cemeteries.
Also known as the New Burying Ground or Methodist Cemetery, Old City Cemetery was established in 1806 on land donated by John Lynch, the founder of Lynchburg. As the City’s first public burial ground, it is home to over 20,000 graves and encompasses 25 acres. Less than 20 years after the creation of Old City Cemetery, an ad announced plans for a new Presbyterian Cemetery: “Notice—the elders of the Presbyterian Church, in common with many other citizens, viewing with regret the dilapidated state of the present public graveyard, have subscribed and collected a sum sufficient to purchase a square of two acres for a new graveyard.”
Spring Hill Cemetery was created by architect John Notman of Philadelphia who designed Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. Described as a romantic cemetery, Spring Hill’s curving pathways differed from the grid plans at Old City and Presbyterian Cemeteries. Burials were delayed when neighbors sued the cemetery association protesting a graveyard in their area. The neighbors lost in Campbell County Court and burials commenced in April 1855.
Notable residents featured include artist Queena Stovall, musician Bransford Vawter, Senator Carter Glass, Confederate Generals Samuel Garland Jr., Robert Rodes, Jubal Early, and Thomas Munford and other distinguished personalities including Dr. John J. Terrell and early feminist Caroline Morgan. The Museum will feature information on the individuals along with objects related to the history of the cemeteries with historic photographs, an embalming kit from Duiguid’s Funeral Service, a 1920s map of Old City Cemetery, and more.
Caroline Morgan Dr. John J. Terrell
The artifacts will remain on display throughout the weekend. The Museum is open Saturday 10am-4pm and Sunday noon-4pm. The Museum is on the free trolley route that loops between participating attractions.
Large Collection of Early Dunbar Material and Portrait of Confederate General James Dearing Donated to The Lynchburg Museum
When Dunbar High School transitioned from a segregated black high school to an integrated school in 1970-71, Carolyn Brown was there as school secretary. Earlier, she worked with C.W. Seay, the principal of Dunbar and the first African American elected to City Council since the 1880s. During the transition, many items were being thrown away and Carolyn saved documents, photographs, graduation programs, and other pieces of the school’s long history.
In recent months, Carolyn contacted the Lynchburg Museum and agreed to let the Museum make digital copies of the extensive collection. Staff members and college interns worked on the collection for several months and recently completed the project. At that time, Ms. Brown decided to donate the collection to the Lynchburg Museum.
Museum Director Doug Harvey noted: “Collections like this are rare, as African American history was not often saved in the early to mid -20th century. This collection includes student newspapers from the 1920s, commencement programs, memorabilia from Jackson Street School, the predecessor to Dunbar, annuals, reunion photographs, and similar items. Carolyn Brown preserved an important and often overlooked part of Lynchburg’s history.” The Museum plans to put portions of the collection on its website in the coming months.
Another important part of local history was donated to the Museum this week. General James Dearing was born in Campbell County, attended West Point, and served in the Confederate army during the Civil War. Rising to the rank of Brigadier General, he was wounded just before the surrender at Appomattox in a cavalry battle near Farmville. Brought to Lynchburg’s Ladies Relief Hospital on Main Street, he died there on April 22, 1865. James Dearing was the last Confederate General to die in the conflict and was buried on his 25th birthday.
Originally interred at the family home Avoca, now a historic house museum near Altavista, he was later moved to Spring Hill Cemetery in Lynchburg. The oil portrait of Dearing by Flavius Fisher was done in 1899 and bequeathed to the Museum by the late Mrs. Margaret Spruce Christian. Her husband was James Dearing Christian, Jr., a descendant of General Dearing and of John Lynch, the founder of Lynchburg.
Lynchburg Museums Recognized in
Day at the Point
Point of Honor
Point of Honor
Noon to 4 pm